We are pleased to announce the second Release Candidate for Authoritative Server version 4.2.0. Many of our users have given RC1 a spin, and we very much appreciate their feedback.
RC2 contains a host of minor robustness improvements, some performance increases, and other improvements. We’ll name a few here; for the rest, please see the changelog:
- improved logging in gsqlbackend, and in the web server
- no more path discovery on UDP; no more disabling of TCP
- when truncating a response might strip out relevant glue, we instead truncate the whole packet now
sdigtool can query DoH servers now
- backend transactions (from either the API or pdnsutil) now use transactions correctly for most situations. This avoids funky ‘my record disappeared for 1 millisecond and now everybody has that cached’ situations.
- LUA records can now be configured to reuse their Lua state between invocations, giving a 7x speedup!
Please try this version, especially if you had any problems with RC1. With some luck, RC2 can become 4.2.0 with no changes in just a week or two!
The tarball (signature) is available at downloads.powerdns.com and packages for CentOS 6 and 7, Debian Jessie and Stretch, Ubuntu Bionic, Trusty, Xenial and Cosmic are available from repo.powerdns.com.