We are happy to announce the second alpha release of dnsdist 1.7.0!
We spent quite some time since alpha1 reproducing an issue reported by Stéphane Bortzmeyer in our new outgoing DNS over TLS feature. The issue turned out to be triggered by the use of the GnuTLS provider, and to be only present with some versions of that library. We are still working with the GnuTLS project to get this issue resolved, but in the meantime we implemented a work-around in dnsdist itself. In addition to that work-around, this release contains a few new features, improvements and bug fixes.
Among the new features is the ability to add a custom EDNS option to a query before forwarding it to a backend, via
SetEDNSOptionAction. phonedph1 also contributed a new rule making it possible to route a query based on the number of outstanding queries in a pool,
The packet cache has been improved so that one can now configure which EDNS options should be ignored, raising the cache hit ratio behind customer-premises equipment. The incoming and outgoing protocols have been added to the output of the
grepq command for a better understanding of the recently processed traffic. We also reduced the memory consumption of dnsdist in constrained environments a bit further.
Denis Machard reported that queries received over UDP and forwarded via a TCP, DoH or DoT were not properly cached. We also noticed that the
includeDirectory configuration directive might not properly function if an exception was raised during the processing. Both issues are now fixed.
With the future 1.7.0 final release, the 1.4.x releases will be EOL and the 1.5.x and 1.6.x releases will go into critical security fixes only mode.
Finally, we would like to thank the PowerDNS community and all external contributors for their great work in this release!