This is the first Release Candidate for version 4.4.0 of the Authoritative Server.
If no trouble surfaces, we will release the actual 4.4.0 within a few weeks.
This release drops GSS/TSIG support, please see PowerDNS Security Advisory 2020-06.
Version 4.4.0 brings a bunch of exciting changes:
- the LMDB backend now supports long record content, making it production ready for everybody
- the SVCB and HTTPS record types are supported, with limited additional processing
- transaction handling in the 2136 handler and the HTTP API was again improved a lot, avoiding various spurious issues users may have noticed if they do a lot of changes
- a new setting (consistent-backends) offers a roughly 30% speedup, subject to conditions
- we finally emit Prometheus metrics!
Authoritative 4.3.x was the last release branch with support for CentOS/RHEL 6. Problems running Authoritative 4.4.x on CentOS/RHEL 6 will not be treated as bugs by us.
We want to specifically thank Robin Geuze, Kees Monshouwer, Mischan Toosarani-Hausberger, Chris Hofstaedtler, and Kevin Fleming for their contributions to this release. We are also grateful to all other reporters of bugs, issues, feature requests, and submitters of smaller fixes and features.
Please make sure to read the Upgrade Notes before upgrading.